socials, fireworks, and cheesy music!

It was awesome to see everyone at the hiking social and reminisce over the weekend. After being kicked out of the pub (i know! crazy!) at 11:30 because it was closing we headed to this sketchy "Fab Cafe" which seemed a bit on the gothic side. It played loud music you couldn't dance to, so no one did. The night ended in a long walk home--I can't believe I walked from the city centre to Tetley!! especialy in my boots! And of course it had to start raining. I really should remember to bring my umbrella, which happens to be bent b/c someone stepped on it! :(

Friday night was the annual bonfire and fireworks!! It really should have been on Saturday, Guy Fawkes night. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Britain's parliament in 1605. Fortunately, he was caught before doing so, and so on the 5th. of Novebember for the past 400yrs. people celebrate by blowing off their own fireworks! LOVELY! lol. I'd been hearing small fireworks going off from my room for about a month now! Though, I predict they'll still be going off and annoying me for another month! Laura, Anna, Faye and I headed down to Hyde Park to the most massive bonfire I have ever seen! The fireworks went on for a good 15-20 min and were quite nice!! Really funny sounds they made, and a bunch of ones I'd never seen before.

After the fireworks we went to the Student Union, where unbeknownst to me it had a gigantic club--actually it was like 3 b/c there were 3 different dance rooms! OMG, and the music they played was absolute cheese! I love it!! For instance, they had a compilation of ABBA songs put together!!! The song from Dirty Dancing "I've had the time of my life" MC Hammer! "Saturday Night"-from Dance mix '95, lots of "oldies" music and of course, my favourite that so far embodies my experience in the UK, "Don't Stop me Now" by Queen! THAT SONG IS ABSOLUTELY HUGE HERE! i love it! It's like a big sing along!

Saturday night Chris's sister from Southampton came up and I went on my first Otley run!! It's a long pub crawl down the main road (Otley). We started in the city centre as to work our way back toward Headingley. I must have been buying watered down drinks or something, because Faye and I really didn't feel anything! The guys on the otherhand were absolutely pissed. It was good fun! It's a good way to get a feel of all the pubs, the ones you like, and which are cheapest! lol,,,that's if you can remember them all! As we were walking past a large park/valley I just had to stop and look at the sky. In the near distance all you saw were fireworks going off from people's home. It was beautiful, truly memorable!

the bonfire
me and Will, with Tom behind Will's glass! hahahaha!
Will, Faye, Laura, and Chris at the New Inn (the pub a stone's throw away from Tetley...the end of the run)
Mr. Muscles and Mrs. Bulge. haha. I call Faye Mrs. B because she always has her mobile in her pocket and it creates this massive bulge.
Seeing as I am in Fine Art here, I thought it was a fitting picture!
My girls!!!! :D I think there were 6 people in my room that night..what a record!

No comments:

Post a Comment