LINCOLN - Wed. Jan. 18

Aleks and I treated ourselves after exams to a little trip on the East side of England. First stop, Lincoln. We arrived to a wet and cold Lincoln, 2.5 hrs by train south-east of Leeds. At least it should have taken 2.5 hrs, but we got on the slow train that took quite longer. We had to walk up a street named "steep hill"to get to our B&B. And man o man, that street was named named that for nothing. Lincoln cathedral was absolutely massive!!!!! Breath-taking really, that I could not believe this is not the largest one in England! The three spire just dominated the city. We toured around the castle where there was an exhibit on 1 of the 4 last surviving copies of the Magna Carta (England's first resemblance of a constitution) in 1257 I believe. One of the museum staff was more than happy to tell us many stories and interesting facts about how King John that no one liked lost the crown jewels and conspiracy theories about his death. Very sweet old man indeed. They're always so chatty and wanted to talk to visitors I find.
Inside the castle was also a prison..as usual in all castles. This was sooooo creepy. It was the prison chapel, the only self-sectioned chapel still standing in the world. Basically the prisoners were boxed into the seat and only the chaplain could see this. Alek and I were standing at the top of the middle aisle when I leaned over to look, and screamed when I saw this dummie person staring back at me. It looked so real, I was so scared I'd have nightmares. Here's what it looks like from the pulpit, but Aleks and I were too scared to walk to the front of it.


What would have been a delicious meal had it not set my mouth on fire. Lovely presentation though, and only 4.20!!! (quid that is)

This window was really neat. It was on the wall to the entrance to the castle. The gate-keeper told us it was originally on a mansion/palace of some sort before the mansion was destructed, so they kept the window and built it into this wall. Little did we know EVERYTHING closes at 5:00pm. We wanted a cafe shop to get a warm drink but we couldn't find one. We ended up in a decent pub looking at the castle at night. About 5/6 guys came in all dressed in Medieval attire: robin hood, prince, friar, knight etc. It was quite amusing, I didn't get a picture though. Too bad. ALeks and I went back to B&B and watched some much deserved TV! :) YAHHH!

No comments:

Post a Comment