LONDON

9.10.2005

Uncanny as it is, my dad had a business conference at the exact time I needed to be in the UK. Therefore I stayed in this very nice hotel with the BEST view (the Tower of London) at his company’s expense! And did I mention we saw England’s champion cricket team!! They were staying at the same hotel. Lots of paparazzi. I’ve concluded London, perhaps all of the U.K. is strange, here is why:

•You have to pay for the toilet! (well in public areas)
•There are no trashcans around, so you have to carry your trash with you, and they actually hire people to pick up trash on the streets when they could just purchase a large garbage can to minimize their work!
•Their toilets come in too many shapes/forms/flushing methods/lever placements, it’s so confusing!
•They sell Condoms in both male and female bathrooms…no wonder London is so populated.
•Their street signs are high on building walls where, especially, drivers would have a hard time to see them.
•There are so many one way streets that I’m scared to cross the street. I thought I had the look right, then left method down, and then all of a sudden a car comes from another direction and I don’t know where to look!

But on top of that, it’s beautiful here! It is very green here with large parks that are full of life. There are enormous buildings on every street that just breathe history. I love it! The weather has been sunny warm—it knew the Schaefers were coming. Though, my hair is awfully frizzing, it must be humid or something. Sunday, my dad and I went to Greenwich—a 20min. subway ride from downtown. It had the Royal Observatory where I stepped on the Prime Meridan of the WORLD! Bwa ha ha—oh the power. We also visited the largest Nautical Museum in the world and stopped in some cool OLD buildings where the Tudors (royal family) were born. I saw ALL the sights with some AWESOME tours! Definitely take walking tours if you come here, you really get a feel for the city. The theatre district is just huge! There are too many plays/musicals/dances to choose from—at least 25 diff. theatres within a square mile. I saw Les Miserables-my favourite-and that was very well done. It had a huge turning stage that made the staging fantastic. I also saw STOMP with my dad. It was interesting, but dragged out with some weird parts, but an interesting beat. My legs are absolutely dead now from all the walking. My knees really hurt so I could always count on a good sleep at night because I’m so exhausted….like now. G’NIGHT

My hotel room (paid for by my dad's conference-sweet!)

The view from my hotel room. I drooled the first time I opened my curtains. The Tower of London is in the background--a medieval fortress and where the crown jewels are kept now. Beyond this is Tower Bridge.

Tower Bridge at Night. I loved walking along the Thames at night. It reminded me of Paris..not that I've been to Paris, but what I imagine Paris to be, although Paris would be more romantic somehow.

Changing of the Guards. Not too exciting because I couldn't see anything. The marching bands that marched (duh) through the gates sounded neat, but too many pushy people so I didn't stay long. The sun was blazing at this point and it was sooo hot! I didn't think to bring my sunglasses! oops.

View of Buckingham Palace from a bridge in St. Jame's Park. That was the cutest and most quaint park! It had this pond running all through it, and if someone felt so inclined they could buy sitting time on the many lounge chairs situated throughout the park. Of course no one would pay to sit in a chair, so everyone sat on the grass. There was dozens of different birds, including Canadian Geese, so you really have to watch where you sat because we all know what geese can leave....

Trafalgar Square was awesome! I don't think it will ever be empty because it's so large and such a great spot to eat lunch and see the tops of the Houses of Parliament, the London Eye..etc. The statue at the top of the pillar is of Lord Nelson, who defeated Napolean at the Battle of Trafalgar. There was a huge celebration here when England won the 'Ashes' back (cricket). I was special because the team stayed at the same hotel as us and I got to see them up close! Of course, I had no idea who they were, but now that I think back, I should've gotten their autograph and sold it! bwa ha ha!

The Houses of Parliament..need I say more? It looks like the building is made of gold! It's pretty spectatcular.

This is a medieval street. They had no sewers, only the slightly deeper midle section of the street. People would throw their chamber pots out the window to this spot, but before they did, they yelled "Garde l'eau"..err I think. Anyway the British word 'loo' (bathroom) comes from this saying. And when people would hear this, they would run under the eaves of the nearest house so they didn't get hit with a pile of crap. While under the eaves, and with the thin material the houses were made of, they could hear everything inside..hence 'eavesdropping'. :) I thought that was kind of interesting.

A lovely church built by Wren. You can't see, but there's a gap at the top, so it's like 4 arches that meet and then the steeple on top--really neat architecture. This church was turned into a little park. It was the most peaceful thing I've ever seen, with all the different flowers and ivy all over the walls that still stand high.

Westminster Abbey--one of the oldest churches in London. It houses many dead people, like Elizabeth I and Mary I, Sir Charles Darwin strangely enough, many other Kings and Queens and all the rich people who wanted to be royalty. Here is where the coronation of the King/Queen takes place. The chair used in this ceremony is traditional since the first King, Edward the Confessor, was crowned. Unfortunately it was graffitied by some school kids no doubt and now sits very high were no one can reach it.

St Paul's Catherdral. Another church by Sir Christopher Wren. I was absolutely stunning, breathtaking more like. There's not really any funny stories with these pictures because I was touring by myself and took pictures of all the scenic things I like. Sorry if this sounds like a history book.

No comments:

Post a Comment