the land of Lancaster!

I caught the 4:50 train out of Leeds on Sat. and rode in to a rainy Lancaster two hours later. I was warmly greeted (more like suffocated with hugs) by my old friend, an exchange student from last year at Toronto, named Phil! It was sooooooooooooo good to see him again and catch up! Still the same weird phrases and high-pitch cheering came from his mouth that never ceases to make me laugh! It was his birthday on Sunday, and all his friends were over celebrating the Saturday. And of course, being his birthday, everyone just kept feeding him with drinks! I’m pretty impressed he could stand at the end of the night. I did lose him for a while, so I just hung out with his really nice friends. hahaha, when Phil finally found us I remember having this sort of dance-off with him! Too funny. We were there until closing and one of the last people to leave, only little did I know my mobile managed to escape out of my purse somewhere and I was phone less. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! my first mobile and being the loser I am, I lose it! what a knob! I'm so mad at myself! The club didn't find it on top of that, so now I need a new phone.

I was thinking on Sunday Phil and I would hit the town, see the castle, the cathedral, and whatever else there was to see in little Lancaster. NOPE! We slept in until noon. Didn't really get moving until 2:30, but by then we both were tired and not feeling the gross weather outside stayed in and played poker with Phil and his roommates Sean and Hayley, and his friend Ben. They taught me this new card game called 'shithead' (ohhhh card games' names are delightful!). It was fun! I was surrounded by a bunch of northerners and I swear I could really hear myself starting to speak British. Like, I was asking questions in a similar intonation and everything!

Tom, another brit exchange student form last year, came by that evening for a bit and it was so strange (but good!) to see him again! There we were--three past students who shared a whole year together at U of T, now in a flat in Lancaster. CRAZY! It was very reminiscent and nice to be surrounded by old friends! People who actually knew me last year, unlike all these new friends I'm making at Leeds! Tom's hair had grown soooooooooo long, he looked more like Richard! Same complaining voice though! ahahaa.

That night I went for dinner with Phil's family. Phil's sister Katie, thought I was overwhelmed by their weirdness...but they weren't! Very friendly and knowledgeable! His parents were both teachers, and I received a lot of the same questions as I do from all other adults, "what do you plan to do after university?" Oh no, the dreaded question that I can never answer! Of course, I had to say something intelligent and not act like a complete blonde as I sometimes can. Instead of saying the usual 'travel, I don't know" I managed to say I was interested in the development of third world countries and hoped to get into companies that aid in such a process, such as the UN. Brownie points for me :) It is true though. I really like my development course in politics and would like to become involved more in that field--if not be a teacher.

It was so ironic that Phil's parents bought him a new sleeping bag--something he had just bought because he knew I was coming! And being the sweetie he is, he lent me his sleeping bag for the time being. :) Now I don't have to borrow a ratty old used one from the hiking society! YES! It was really sad to say bye to Phil come Monday. I really, really enjoyed my time just chilling with all of the Lancaster crew and just seeing how tight they are made me want to be a part of their group! I know I'll be back, and I'm already looking forward to it!

Me in the fabulous Lancaster cap Phil gave me :D
The gang! Sean, Ben, Phil, Rich, Becca
Me, Becca and Amy
Phil feeding the noisy ducks outside in the canal! How cool is that, he lives next to a canal!?!?
Phil and me at Wetherspoons!

No comments:

Post a Comment