REGISTRATION

9.21.2005

In one word, it was BRUTAL!! First I had to go and sign up for courses in long queues in this large gymnasium. Then once you had all your courses, I had to go and check that my fees were paid, then I had to stand in a long line outside. Eventually this line went into a tent...and just when you think you're at the end, it take you into another hall which is twice as big, therefore twice the lineup! I stood in line for 2 hours. before everything was complete. Thank goodness for the entertaining guy in front of me. He was from Kent. I've noticed no one at the Uni is from Leeds, everyone moves out of their home city to go to Uni. Unlike Toronto, where everyone from TO goes to TO. We started chatting and that helped the time go past MUCH faster. I wonder if I'll ever see these random people I seem to meet and talk to again. I dout they'll remember me, b/c I always look different. Big hair, hair up, glasses, contacts...people don't recognize me here most of the time, it takes them a double glance. I walked to and from campus (40 min. each way) so my right knee is now killing me like it did in London. Geesh, I thought walking was low impact and running was bad for the knees. Anyway, I've concluded I shouldn't walk both ways to campus b/c it's too painful.

I saw Pride and Prejudice tonight at a cinema 2 min. from my house. It was cute,, much shorter than the Colin Firth one...this Mr. Darcy seemed more like Darcy ought to be, I suppose b/c he was younger looking. It's still rather unrealistic to be like "oh I love you" just after they did sometihng nice for your family, and not having spend anytime w/ them. gah, but beside that I still love that story! I started reading the book this summer, but it was awfully slow. The movie matched the book exact (word for word). I can't believe most of the guys from my house actually came to see it..maybe they didn't know is was a girly movie...poor guys.

I think everyone in my house has moved in! We have like the international house--a Nigerian named Jacob who always laugh (so we're destined to get along well), a tall German named Ralph-very nice, a quiet Russian named Eugene, a very quiet Chinese named Wyn (i think), a girl from Poland named Aleksandra, and 2 black girls who no one seems to know b/c they keep to themselves--so I'm assuming they're exchange students. The other 7 students are all first years and from various parts of the UK. They're new like me to the Uni, so it's nice not feeling too confused w/ registration and all, because everyone's in the same boat as me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment