NORWICH -- Sunday Jan.22

Norwich was lovely, cold and ugly outside, but the town (200,000 people…maybe a city?) has a lot of charm. Well, I liked it because it was old looking, clean and lots to do and see. I really wanted to get a bus out into the Norfolk Broads (charming grassy/river/windmill area just east. But it was Sunday, so no buses to where I wanted to go, and I was too tired and cold. It was just as well because the city was great! I managed to find its cathedral, encased in large walls much like a castle, and with many other buildings/houses inside the walls. I stumbled into the cathedral during mass so I stayed. A very nice usher waved me to sit beside him and showed me exactly where they were in the mass book and handed me his book to follow along. It was so nice!!! Then when communion came around, I didn’t know where to go because the formation was really weird. Another usher pleasantly told me where to go with such a helpful smile! Old men are so cute! hehehe.


weird/cool building. I have no idea what it is, but look at it!! WICKED COOL MAN! :P HAHA.
Norwich cathedral. The Cloisters look exactly like Westminster Abbey. They are really well preserved!
I want to call this the Atrium, but it wasn't called that. It had the tourist information (which was closed!!!!!), coffee shop, and library inside. Awesome architecture!
I just sat in the stone, barren and dark cathedral after mass watching everyone greet each other with such smiles. It was really sweet to watch their interactions. I think the average age was 70 years old. Kind of sad how very few young people attend mass anymore. I’m one to talk because I don’t on a regular basis when I’m at University, but still, you’d at least expect families with teenagers to attend. I think I stayed in the cathedral for an hour, walking around, lighting a candle, pondering my thoughts on life. I don’t think we get enough time to really think to ourselves anymore. Everyone’s lives are so busy and hectic and loud, it was wonderful to be able to sit in almost absolute silence with my own thoughts. I thought a lot about back home and how no matter how much I want to travel, home is where my heart is. I know, what a cliché, but its true. Despite all these wonderful experiences, it’s reassuring to know I have something to come home to. I wish everyone the same feeling. :D

I keep meaning to write to my Nana, I started to, but never finished. And now with my traveling even more the school readings are piling up! eak! I have so many things I want to do, and see, stupid school! I really need to implement some key time management skills to use this semester more productively than the last. After walking around until my legs hurt, I watched “Brokeback Mountain” as it started to get dark before my train. It was decent movie, moving at parts, sad at others. It was very stretched out…making it seem longer than it was. Oh well, watching Heath Ledger is never a bad thing! ;)
The river with lots of fishermen all in a row. I like this picure, it's so cute! And the reflection...yah, I think I should go into photography. ;) HEHE, maybe someday....
There was a church tower on EVERY CORNER like this one! I kid you not, this city must have the highest concentration of churches EVER! my goodness! The little side streets were very colourful like this one. QUAINT! :P
section of a wall. These look more like gemstone then rocks. They were all shiny, but you couldn't notice in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment