May



5.31.2006

LEEDS and CAMPUS

Exactly what you've all been waiting for!! I'm so slow, I've been here a year and STILL haven't managed to put pics up of the place! Well, for your viewing and benefit, here they are in all their glory! It is quite pretty. The Victorian shopping street has especially nice architecture! I"ve just started running and discovered beautiful parks just 5min. run from Tetley!!!!!! DUH!! Why didn't I run earlier!!?!? Just north of me is the Hollies, private gardens turned public, with neat rocky paths down a hill and the most beautiful, and vibrant blossoms on large bushes! The hill runs down into a river which extends for a mile in a forest to a main road. At the end of the forest path that was deserted of runners (though I saw an older couple kissing and I thought it was so sweet!--you don't see that too often!) I stood against a wooden fence and watched 2 beautiful horses gallavanting around their pen. It was the most perfect day, nice humid-free sun and strong cooling breeze. Nothing could have been more perfect----except of course if I had my camera and my journal :)
Inside Leeds City Hall for an orchestra concert. Ralph was able to get 3 pound tickets. Anna, Aleks, Zuna(?) Ralph and myself dressed up a bit. Anna and I were bad and bought yummy McDonald's icecream before hand. The concert was lovely, and I especially loved inside the hall. My skirt wasn't behaving and TWICE! two ladies told me the tail was caught, well, upward..but my friends didn't notice and didn't see why it was such a big deal. Still, that's embarassing!

Two Leos (my birthday's August 15th--a Leo)
They really do exist!!!! -Hole in the wall! hahahaha
Millenium Square..some sort of administration building. This is where the hold concerts, the skating rink, the German Christmas market, and cool photography of the World from air during the beginning of the year.
The wonderment of the Roger Stevens building. looking at the NE face.
Roger Stevens West Side..oh so 60s!!!


The infamous Parkinson building. Ok, I kind of cut off the most famous part, the tall clock tower that symbolizes the University. It's tall, and has a pointy top, not too important for those reading this though.
Dry Dock. Famous for it's cheap Thursday night beers! It's a happening, largely student, well only student, pub/bar. There's cool, hip music and we tend to just start dancing where ever there's room. If you can't see, it's a "shipwrecked" hull of a ship. Hence the name "dry dock."
The corn exchange
Inside the corn exchange with eccletic and different shops.lots of gothic and funky independent clothing stores.

5.30.2006

family, friends, and new found friends

Mama and Ma!! I can see where Marina gets all her peppiness, good humour, and zest for life! The five of us went to a small cafe/bar for a Mexican dinner in Headingley (this actually took place on Wednesday, May 17th, after my first exam!) It took awhile wandering through the rainy streets to find a decent place, and it turns out this place was just right where we started our search. It was soooo lovely to get to know Ma's mum, even if she couldn't speak english, she understood a bit, and I barely got by with my lack of French (which she is fluent in) Thank goodness Francois speaks French, it was easier for her mom then. And to see Francois again! I hadn't seen that guy in forever, nor ever really spoken to him, so it was really great to finally, one would say "bond."
Willa and her delicacy.

Ok, so not the most flattering picture of me! I asked Marina to take a pictures and Francois was getting ready to put on a silly picture face of his (of course) so I said, no just of me, nad he got upset. hahaha. I think that's his upset face.


ERIC'S VISIT TO LEEDS
My brother Eric came to Leeds the Monday after I finished my final exam. We walked to Kirkstall Abbey in the afternoon and headed to the Library pub for a pound/pint. There he met some of the internationals and my "posse" of hikers. But he was tired, and crappily enough we didn't make the bus so walked home.
Tuesday we headed to York on yet another cold day there!!! Geesh! Is it ever not windy and cold there? We headed the the Cathedral first and it was just as interesting before! We then headed for the 2pm walking tour, and even though I took one with my parents, I can't believe how completely different they were!! Given, it was a different guide, but still! We got back to Leeds around 5 and went to the Threehorses Shoes that night with housemates and friends :) It was a good night!!!

Ruins of St. Mary's Abbey? Most of the stones were rebuilt all over York...you can see the same detail in the gardens and walls.
Small church in York with proper cubicle type seating! Very, urmmm, different.
Ceiling of the 'Chapter House' in York Cathedral
Sister and Brother together again! My friends got together to show my brother the infamous pub near Tetley, "the Threehorse shoes." We happened to be there for quiz night, so it was good fun!. I of course was useless and could not contribute to the random, often British oriented questions. Though, I should have been able to answer "largest city outside Paris that speaks French." It turned out to be Montreal. DUH!
Always a thumbs up with Chris.
I found this older (at least I assume so!) man's glasses under the bench. We couldn't resist to try them on. Here's Faye sporting the hot glasses!

I look like a deer in the headlights...maybe it was the psychedelic visions I was having with the strong prescription!

Hot Aleks . You can't see, but we put Alex's flashing night lights for his bike in our shirts. They were even colour coordinated, red port(left), green starboard (right).

5.28.2006

Halifax -- Sunday June 28th

We were supposed to go to Keighley, a town just outside Leeds, but it was more than our day bus pass, so we decided to catch a bus that allowed us to use our day ticket. Halifax wasn't anything special, no old buildings, or cool sights. There was a cute little park 10min walk into the city where we posed for multiple pictures. I think we shocked the locals because they kept looking and laughing. We were all soon tired, maybe due to boredom, and headed back.





soo pretty!

5.25.2006

The Fab Four

Four words: Katherine, Kristian, Aleks and Alex! awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Leeds Rhinos brutally defeated, but we didn't let that ruin our spunky spirits! :)
Mr. Preppy. hehe.
Playing vball in the rain...maybe not the smartest idea, especially on concrete. Aleks flip flop broke so we eventually moved to the slippery grass, something we were trying to avoid. Oh well.
another photo shoot on my bed....how loved my bed must feel!
mmmm hot chocolate!
yahh baby!
DINNERTIME!

Alex arrived from a short visit in Italy with something even more special than bracelets for me and Aleks...FOOD! So the four of us had a nice, "grown-up" meal complete with Italian wine. We managed to also make it to the last minutes of the hiking social in Headingley and I quickly stopped in to see Marina and Francois at her place because she also made a meal, but couldn't make it. She still forced me to eat her desert, which was soooo yummy!! Like an icecream/chocolate/crumble thing!
Alex beautifully prepared, straight from Italy, dinner. He even put little leaves on the sliced tomatoes and made circles with the cut up salami! 10/10 for presentation. Maybe he was a chef in a past lifetime...
What a smuldering look you have there Kristian! ohhhh la la.
Aleks performingher modern dances moves on an unknowing Alex.
My waxy desert. mmmmm. The retard that I am, managed to pour wax all over my icecream..not knowing I did so. The room was so dark I moved the candle to see what I was eating. Unfortunately there was a whole in the side of the candle, and wax got everywhere, even down teh leg of my pants. yup, i'm a smart cookie! :S

5.23.2006

A night out... -- Friday May 19th

My housemates went out with Anna's friend, Sorrel, on her birthday Otley run. The theme was "greecian" but none of us dressed up. oh well, it was enjoyable! We went to the Oak, followed by the Box. Aleks and I went to meet Kristian at the indie club, 'The Cockpit" but he had already left so we went to a lounge with his friends.
hahahaha, the glass queen.

The girls

Ant--garbed in that sexy fabric---Faye and Myra

I love how Will is always trying to get into the picture. hehe.


Aleks annoying Ralph as he drinks wine to celebrate his exams finishing. hahaha, Ralph is sooo funny, so posh like

5.13.2006

Essays completion=night out @ Dry Dock!

The title says it all......
Aleks and Kat
The Moor Grange girlies! :P
me and pouty Will
Angelic Anna--polka dots were dominating that night!

Myra, Aleks, Kat
bye bye Dry Dock and 1 quid double Vodka and Red Bull

5.11.2006

foreigners, a foreign hat, and a really comfy bed

We arranged to meet Kristian (the Dane from the Northumberland hiking trip) at the weekly international student night in the pub, the Eldon, (April 25th). He brought his good friend Alex (from the north of Germany but recently moved to Holland), who was supposed to go on that hiking trip but was sick. What a great night, even more so, what great company!! Aleks and I keep going on about how amazingly cool those guys are and how it's a shame we didn't meet earlier! Oh well, we all get along so well it's like we've known each other awhile! I don't know about others, but that doesn't happen too often! That week alone, we all went for coffee, played a 2 on 2 game of basketball, chilled at Kristian's place with some wine and Kristian came to our Sunday roast at Tetley, yum yum-followed by a game of Frisbee on our lawn!!
I haven't played bball since I didn't get on the team in Gr.6. haha. It was more fun than I remembered, though I was complete crap. It was a good scrimmage, those 3 pushed me to try harder. I think I improved, at least Alex was kind enough to say so! We sat in the massive Hyde Park afterwards, surrounded by hundreds of students, all of whom were just chilling, playing sports, eating ice cream...it was a moment. It seemed there was nothing to worry about in the world, no essays, no exams, just relaxation and good company. But everything good has its place in time and soon it was back to my essays...booooooooooo. By the way, I walked to and from campus 3 times that day!!! That's 3 hrs. of walking!!
After the international night we headed over to a bar in the student union buidling..it's huge..there's a club, refectory(cafeteria), shops gallore, food store, 3 bars and lots of cafes..oh and an upstairs with loads of 'offices' and such! Here is Melissa and Willa who we met at Mine, with indie/rock/cheese music playing.
me and kewl Kristian
The dancing queen and king: Aleks and Alex
Will sporting his quality, genuine Aussie hat, with of course a popsicle (aka ice lollies here). Yes!! The weather has become so beautiful and warm!!! Stupid essays prevent us fom rellishing in the sunshine...though everyone tries to sit outside at Tetley and read...didn't happen for me.

Chris and his seductive position. ahaha. He comes and lies on my bed because it's the comfiest ever!

Aleks and her 1 ft. long tongue...it's really long

5.10.2006

Antics in my small room

Chris wearing my pants...ermm, my fat pants that are very large on me *cough*. haha. They were such floods on him, because he's so tall....so funny!!! Yet, slighty disturbing. He wanted to try on my favourite pants that are not as big, but I refused, even to Alek's pushiness, because they are so old the crotch is already wearing out, he would've ripped them!

This is on another day...but I'm getting scared at my male housemate desire to dress in my clothes....hmm. Will here is in my red vest (aka tank top!) haha, they call it vest here. losers. jk.

you guessed it! me and Aleks at my beloved comp.

Faye and me...again at my beloved comp.

Me and Anna, this time on my beloved, comfy bed.


mmmm healthy food! Aleks and I cooked a potato, tuna, broccoli, carrots, and green beans!

5.03.2006

international survey

I recently sent this in to the international office at Toronto...thought you might want to read what I've taken out of being here... :)

1.? What was the most significant aspect of your experience studying abroad (include your destination please)?

I studied at the University of Leeds in England and the most significant aspect was the social side. No, I am not referring to the pubs and drinking which the British are renowned for, but being surrounded by such a diverse group of international friends day in and day out. I was fortunate enough to placed in an old Victorian house for my University residence. Even better was the variety of housemates, almost half of whom were international. I feel as though I have a taste of the world to come home with from living, learning, and creating bonds of friendship with such interesting and friendly people. I have also met unforgettable friends and acquaintances through the hiking club, of which has provided me with the opportunity to keep fit hiking the tallest peaks in England, chatting to new people along the way and traveling to some of the most remote and breathtaking places in England! As to what could be more amazing? I have no idea.

2.? What advice would you offer a student considering a study abroad opportunity?

If you're considering studying abroad but still have doubts, GO anyway! Yes, you will miss out on another year at UofT, yes you will miss memorable moments with friends, winning that trophy for your sports team and feel homesick for your family. But that kind of thinking is limiting the potential within you and the whirlwind of experiences waiting to be discovered abroad! Studying abroad has opened my mind in so many ways, through the different food I've tried, to the places I've traveled, and prejudices I had originally held. Things I have done here I may not have even considered if I were not submerged in a different culture! The University was my outlet. The student Union was excellent and provided an unbelievable amount of extracurricular activities to chose from. It was hard not to sign for every club that sounded interesting!
On the academic side, the classes offered and even the method of teaching, at least in my course, are slightly different than back in Toronto. It was refreshing to live a different lifestyle and learn a different field of study to what is offered back home. It's also important to remember that you are not cemented to the place in which you study. Instead, one can think of it as a stepping stone to other countries, either traveling to them first-hand or simply learning about them through the multitude of friends and acquaintances you will meet from around the world. So much is waiting for you abroad! What you take out of it will be COMPLETEY AND UTTERLY up to yourself. But the good news is that even if you are still considering studying abroad, chances are your mind is already open enough to let in an experience that will forever change you life! Be daring, put yourself out there and try something not everyone else can. You will no doubt come out of it with an undeniable sense of accomplishment and satisfaction like I have.

3.? Was immersion in another language an important aspect of your experience? If yes, how?

No, language was not a barrier to my assimilation in the culture, seeing as the native tongue here in England, is of course English. However, many, and I mean many, conversations involved my American sounding accent, the different words I used and how funny I would say British words. If anything, 'my language' was a conversation starter.



No comments:

Post a Comment