CHESTER--Sept. 28

Chester was cute and quaint. It had a lot of old looking stores with the black and white patterns. It also had what was called "the Rows" and simply was 2 tiers of shops, which doubled how much I shopped! not a good thing. I couldn't help it! It was so rainy and cold that my hands were going to fall off b/c they were so cold. I did manage to get some good deals though! After shopping I went to the amphitheatre, and I wasn't impressed at first. It really looked like nothing. I managed to hear about the free archaeological tour, which was super! It told you everything about the culture, and what exactly we were looking at. Extremely cool to be standing on something so old! It gave me shivers! Also b/c where I was standing people were tortured and killed, not a pleasant thought. It made me want to become an archaeologist...but I suppose most cool, old relics are discovered by now.I walked around the old medieval wall...which really didn't look medieval. My bus was at 8:30 and I was bored by 5:30 because everything closed then!!! So I watched "the 40 yr. old Virgin" in the cinema. It was quite funny and cute! I would recommend it! That was about it in Chester...it would have been better to tour in good weather. I could've seen more that way.

A REAL Roman Amphitheatre!! It doesn't look like much, but the archaeologist made it all make sense...it's just not much is left to show b/c it's all been taken away throughout the years. Only the foundations are left.

The rock in the middle is the exact centre of the ampitheatre! There would have been a metal that you could chain people to (so they wouldn't run away) and chain animals. This is where a lot of public burnings took place. CREEPY, yet cool. I know, I'm sick.

The foundation on the left is where the 1st amphi. stood. The foundation on the right is the extended 2nd. amphi. stood. Lighter, softer sand has been found outside there "walls". This is where they'd throw the light sand that had been tainted with blood out.

The Cathedral.

Chester city streets. Notice the white/black wooden buildings, very English. LOTS of shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment