TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

The Cantilever, Snowdonia

I love this picture! In a way it simply embodies my experience here so far. Don't laugh, there's a reason... When I first looked on the hiking website I saw a picture similar to this, and I was determined to find out where that was and go on that hiking trip to see it. Well, obviously I accomplished that and have had the most unforgettable experience thus far. The same applies to wanting to come to England on exchange in the first place. And I did it! I'm here! I knew I wanted to come to England since as far back as I can remember. The history, neat accents, rolling country-side, the romantic setting in Jane Austen's novels, castles, mystery, and culture are just some on the things that come to mind when I think of England. I still can't get over the number of people that keep asking me "why? why England?" as though I was mad to choose this as my host country. As the semester winds down England becomes more than these few descriptive words, it holds so much more to me now.

I know I came here think it will be a life changing experience, so I keep asking myself how I've changed since I've been here, what I will take back with me, what self-discovery I have realised by being in this foreign land. The honest answer is I don't know....yet. I still feel like the same goofy Katherine, but I suppose that's because I would never want to change who I am. If anything, I'm much more ambitious to see more of the world now, to see different cultures, experience a different lifestyle, take in more breath-taking views. From what I've seen and been through so far, I can't stop smiling at what I've accomplished in these short 3 months. The friendships and amazing, inspiring people I have met--regardless of whether I talk to them again and keep in touch in the long run-- have helped make my moments here so wonderful and enjoyable. I have this overwhelming sense of gladness and I think that is what makes this semester successful above everything else.


I may be speaking prematurely, because I am still here for another week to finish my essays before I go home for Christmas. At the moment there are 4 of use left in the house, soon to be just me and Jacob. I know everyone just left, but I could already feel the emptiness when I returned from the library this afternoon. Jacob from Nigeria is staying the whole Christmas vacation. It honestly breaks my heart knowing I have to leave him alone for what should be a time for family, friends, and relaxation. He was doing work in the hall foyer tonight with the radio on, when a sweet Christmas tune came on. I almost started crying, because it just reminded me how much home means to me during the holiday season....wearing my comfy polar fleece pants with my super warm slippers in front of the fire place while doing a puzzle with my mom and brother just brings a smile to my face. My sister Kirsten will be watching TV and laughing in her hyena laugh out loud at it. My dad will be eating chocolate and listening to his lovely Christmas tunes upstairs, then rounding everyone up for church by saying "wakey wakey" and flicking on our bedroom lights.....
Christmas Eve we will stuff our face at Oma and Opas with Oma's wonderful German cooking. Having a fake Santa coming to the door to give presents, and opening the presents that are no doubt chocolate and money is always great to receive! Our stockings will be filled with the usual chocolate balls and random notepads and pens, maybe even a toothbrush! hehe.....

Going tobaganning, drinking Timmie's hot chocolate late at night with my friends, spending New Years with Joy watching really cheesy movies, shopping with Katherine, making cookies with Rosalia, reading Alice's cute homemade Christmas card, opening the chocolate calendars with Sarah who will get excited over the littlest things, snowboarding with Eric, skating with Alana. And although that wasn't a proper, complete sentence I can't help but look forward to all of those things because they're such comforting memories of the holidays! And on that note, I need to get my beauty sleep for tomorrow :D


1 Comment

Anonymous lau|2 said...
hey kat :)
thanks for the nice comment! Both quotes are beautiful and tears do represent more... just sometimes i cry in hopes that it will changes things - when it can not. it's just a reminder that i need less of that and more action.
but on a happier note, yay to term being almost over! and i LUVVV the pic in this blog - simply breath taking. goodluck with your essay, and i hope you arrive back here safe and sound!
happy holidays to you, eric, and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment