BOLTON ABBEY - Sunday Dec.11

Bolton Abbey - The town just happens to be named Bolton Abbey...if only I could find the town. It seemed to be comprised of a bakery and town hall..hmmmm.
The Yorkshire Dales (countryside) Here we are walking in fields of heather, with large rock boulders popping at (as seen in distance).
A duck that can't make its way upstream due to the current. It was pretty funny, just like when you see seagulls motionless into the wind.

A cute, random little house pretty much in the middle of nowhere. And did I mention this is in December!!!! It looks like summer! It was the most gorgeous weather! So warm!
My crew, Martin and Paul, at Simon's Seat--the largest/coolest rocks in the area. It was freezing by the time we got up here b/c it was at a hgher altitude and the wind was howling.
countryside --just like in Pride and Prejudice Katherine!!! GORGEOUS!

It was said that the water fight scene inRobin Hood (w/ Kevin Costner) was filmed about here. (well not exactly here, but in the area, possibly the same river, I don't know).

From Bolton Abbey we walked about 4 hrs. to a small (and I mean small) town named Burnsall. We would have gone farther, but it was getting dark and the guys wanted a drink. Little did we know we'd be stuck in a crap pub for 2.5hrs. It was the hotel's pub, and when we walked in this guy asked us, "are you here to eat? No? then stand there" and pointed to these tall benches opposite the bar. Mind you, it was pretty busy at the time we got there, so once it settled down, we took a seat in the corner. I don't even know what we talked about, I was pretty tired. I just remember being appaled by this man who was alerady unzipping himself before the bathroom door which was near us. We also bought these yummy "Yorksire Dales Crisps" that came in a large canister probably making them more expensive, so I kept the canister, haha, get my money's worth. The bus ride back was maybe 45 minutes. We were on it with a guided walking group that goes every Sunday, something I think my parents would enjoy very much when they come in March, b/c the guide talks about the geography/history and such on the hike..and it's free! So all in all, it was really nice to get out into Leeds backyard and see the quaint countryside I've seen so much in movies. It was darling and so peaceful.

1 Comment

Kirsten said...
Hey, I figured it might be better to reply here than on mine...? Hope your exams went well. I don't know what you're in but I'm in biology and I'm not used to all these essay questions! But about platform 9 3/4...we just followed signs to platforms 9 and 10 and there was a wall with the sign on it so you could get pictures. I was like a superdork that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment